I grew up enjoying Green Chile Stew made by my Aunt Pat from New Mexico. I decided to do some experimenting and came up with my own version. It is some southern love in your tummy for sure! Enjoy!
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 16-ounce jar HERDEZ® Salsa Verde
- 1 28-ounce can Las Palmas Green Chile Sauce - Medium
- 1 27-ounce can whole green chiles, drained and chopped into one-inch pieces
- 3 lbs pork loin or other pork roast (loin is leaner and better for you)
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 2 carrots, minced
- 3 ribs of celery, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups cubed potatoes (red or white potatoes - if red leave skins on)
- salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Combine first seven ingredients in six-quart crock pot and begin cooking on high. In food processor or blender, mince carrots, celery, and garlic then add to crock pot (you just want the flavor of these items, not the appearance, thus mincing will help them to dissolve into the broth rather than be chunky in it). Allow to cook for at least one and a half hours*, then add cubed potatoes and allow to cook for 45 minutes to one hour, or until potatoes are done and the pork shreds with a fork. Shred meat and stir to combine well. Serves eight - ten people. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
*If you will not be around to turn on/off the crock pot, consider plugging in into a lamp timer (the ones that turn your lights on automatically at a set time and turn them off again so people think you are home). You can then set what time it should turn on before leaving home, then it will turn on when you set it to, and when you get home you can add the potatoes and have dinner ready as soon as they are done. You can also let this cook for several hours on medium and then add the potatoes at the end on high. Simple and yummy!
Ya'll come back now for more great recipes from this good ol' southern gal!
Check out all of Monica Kennedy's great recipes in her series:
Feel free to share this recipe for free, but please do give me credit.